Skegness Town Council
Code of Conduct
Adopted by Council on 6th April 2022
Effective from 1st July 2022
One of the critical issues identified by the National Association of Local Council's (NALC) civility project is that the Code of Conduct produced by the Local Government Association (LGA) in 2021 has not been widely adopted.
Skegness Town Council adopted the LGA code of conduct on 6th April 2022. (Effective from 1st July 2022 after training has been provided).
The code and guidance have been designed to protect the democratic role, encourage good conduct, and safeguard the public's trust and confidence in the role of councillor in local government.
This Code of Conduct is based on the principles of selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty, and leadership. Building on these principles, the following general principles have been developed specifically for the role of councillor.
In accordance with the public trust placed in me, on all occasions:
- I act with integrity and honesty
- I act lawfully
- I treat all persons fairly and with respect: and
- I lead by example and act in a way that secures public confidence in the role of councillor.
In undertaking my role:
- I impartially exercise my responsibilities in the interests of the local community
- I do not improperly seek to confer an advantage, or disadvantage, on any person
- I avoid conflicts of interest
- I exercise reasonable care and diligence; and
- I ensure that public resources are used prudently in accordance with my local authority's requirements and in the public interest.
See the full Code of Conduct document for more information.
Code Of Conduct, Adopted 2022.04-06 (PDF, 291 Kb)
Local Government Association Model Councillor Code of Conduct 2022. Adopted by Skegness Town Council on 6th April 2022 and effective from 1st July 2022.